Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Cooking for 2....meals.

As a busy mom of 2, it's important to me to not spend my life over the stove and instead, spend valuable time with them.  That is why I LOVE to find recipes that I can cook and manipulate in to a couple of totally different meals.

One of my faves:

1st meal:  Chicken (taco) salad

--SUPER EASY.  Take a package of skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 7 of them) and plop them in to a slow cooker.  Then add your favorite jar of salsa (yes, the entire jar).  Then just cook for about 7 hours on low (I basically turn it on before leaving for work and it's done when I return....).  About 30 minutes before it's done, take a couple forks and shred it up.  Keep it in the salsa mix.

Then I take a package of taco salad shells.  You can get these in the refrigerated section of your grocery store (by the refrigerated taco shells).  You bake them for about 7 minutes.  Then I use SHREDS lettuce (you know, the stuff that's in the bag in your produce department).  Fill the shell with lettuce, add tomatoes, shredded cheese, your chicken mixture and top with sour cream.

2nd meal--day 2:  Chicken Tortilla soup

--So now you'll take the leftover chicken mixture and toss it BACK in to the slow cooker the next day.  Add in the following:
1 can of stewed tomatoes
1 onion--finely chopped
some garlic
14.5 oz can of chicken broth
1 can of enchilada sauce (the 10 oz size)
1 teaspoon each of:  cumin and chili powder
A bit of pepper to your taste
1 can of chopped green chiles
I add in about a half bag of frozen corn and a can of black beans

You guessed it.  TURN ON the slow cooker--about 6-7 hours on low.  Top with freshly chopped cilantro.  YUM!  Then take some taco chips and you can break them up and eat with it.  Top with sour cream.

So yummy!!!!  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment